Food and health disparities are often due to the intersectionality of many social determinants. These often include race, region, food access, housing, education, and transportation.
To learn more about the intersection of food insecurity and health disparities:
- Source- Feeding America that links to different projects and studies in the charitable food sector that works on addressing food insecurity. The article discusses also how households deal with food insecurity and the intersection of different issues that cause the cycle of food insecurity and health disparities.
- Source- the Center for Disease Control that defines food equity and health disparities. It addresses health disparities to increase health equity. The CDC also showcases successful Interventions with reports of their strategies for interventions at the bottom of the page.
- Online publican from the Oxford Research Encyclopedias. The publication discusses considerations for Health and Risk Messaging, health literacy and information seeking, and different determinants of health. The publication also mentions media coverage and its influence on health disparities while going in-depth on efforts to reduce health disparities through government and foundation efforts along with research-driven intervention.
Food Insecurity (see also food access page):
- Webpage by the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion that describes food insecurity in a comprehensive overview. It differentiates between “low food security” and “very low food security.”
- Source- Feeding America that describes what food insecurity is, who it affects, and its ranges.
- A journal excerpt that is a part of Translational Behavioral Medicine. The excerpt explains the need for additional research to understand strategies, risks, and mitigation opportunities concerning the impact of obesity-related food insecurity. Describes research barriers, studies, and a strategic plan.
- A report by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities that describes SNAP in relation to food assistance. It delves into how SNAP helps and its other effects. The report also dives into the many determinants food insecurity is related to.
- Source- U.S. Department of Veteran affairs. Webpage links to many programs in VA and educational handouts that focus on food insecurity.