This overview discusses why this work is important and describes the objectives.
To build the capacity of the Research and Extension system to foster community collaboration and become a trusted source of high-impact education an research supporting all aspects of local foods.
- To provide a safe, healthy, and affordable food supply that is accessible to all consumers.
- Farmers, ranchers, and food businesses are able to profitably market their products locally and regionally.
- People and communities are empowered to participate in all aspects (including production, distribution, preservation, purchasing and consumption) of the local and regional food systems.
- Promote justice and fairness
- Support farms, food businesses, and local economies that thrive
- Improve food access and security
- Encourage food systems that support environmental, economic, and social well-being
- Foster healthy people and communities
- Recognize and respect diverse, local identities and cultures
- Utilize community-driven and evidence-based practices